Summer time is when people plan to have fun and stay cool. We all have to keep in mind that we use energy to run cooling systems. It is important to learn how to stay cool, save money, and save energy.
Tips on How to Save Energy & Keep Cool During the Blazing Summer Heat:
- When cooking in the kitchen do not turn on the AC, instead open the windows and doors.
- Try to cook in the morning, when the sun is just rising or has rose. This will help decrease exposure to overbearing heat.
- Turn off all lights when not in use. This will help save energy. During the day try to maximize the use of sun light instead of indoor light.
- When the AC is on try to turn off all the lights and close all the doors and windows. Doing this will help retain the cool air.
- According to greenamerica.org, install ceiling fans to reduce the use of an AC.
- According to greenamerica.org, use your programmable thermostat to control the heat and the cooling temperature of your home.
- According to the Journal of Professional Safety, maximize the cool temperature within your home by pulling curtains and shades when you leave home.
- According to the Journal of Professional Safety, check your air conditioners filter monthly.
- Change dirty filters because they slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep the house cool. This will use a lot of energy.
- According to the Journal of Parks & Recreation, if you want to exercise try to do so in the morning or late evening. Avoid the midday sun.
- Drink lots of cold water to keep yourself hydrated before you go outside and when you come back.
- Wearing light colored clothing may help you stay cool.
- Summer Energy Savings with an Electronic Programmable Thermostat (local.answers.com)
- Beating the Summer Heat With Better Energy Efficiency (cleantechies.com)
- Money Saving Summer Cooling Tips (fox2now.com)